1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
2 lbs. fat-free, less-sodium beef base
8-10 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tbs. garlic
- Brown beef in non-stick fry pan until browned, stirring frequently.
- Remove beef from pan and place in crockpot,
- Add carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms, fat-free, less-sodium beef base, water, garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook on high heat for one hour
- Add pearl barley then turn down to low Cook till vegetables and beef are tender.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Discard bay leaf.