225g/8oz plain flour
75g/3oz caster sugar
½tsp baking powder
¼tsp mixed spice
A pinch salt
A little milk to bind
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, mixed spice) together into a mixing bowl.
- Cut up the butter and rub into the flour.
- Stir in the sugar and fruit, pour in the egg and mix to form a dough
- Use a little milk if the mixture is a little dry.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about the thickness of a biscuit.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut out rounds.
- Cook the cakes on a greased bake stone or griddle until golden.
- The heat should not be too high, as the cakes will cook on the outside too quickly, and not in the middle.
- Once cooked sprinkle with caster sugar and serve with butter.
- As an alternative you can try mixed dried fruit or tropical fruit.
- Some grated lemon or orange rind is also good.
- Add a little orange juice, zest and icing sugar to some soft butter to serve with the Welsh cakes.