3 (about 250g) really ripe and speckly bananas (see tip)
100g golden caster sugar
2 ripe but still firm comice pears, cored and chopped, dusted in a little flour
1 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra to serve
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large free-range egg
150g plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g pecans, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Grease and line a 1 litre loaf tin with baking paper so it overhangs the short edges of the tin
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl
- Stir in the melted butter and caster sugar with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Stir through the pears, the maple syrup and vanilla extract
- Beat in the egg.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda
- Gently fold in, along with the pecans, using a metal spoon.
- Pour the mix into the loaf tin, then bake for 45 minutes.
- The cake should be dark on top with a soft, moist sponge.
- Check it’s done by poking a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean it’s ready.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then lift out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle with extra maple syrup to serve.