1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 can (14.5oz) Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
2 refrigerated ready made pie crusts (Karen uses Pillsbury)
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 Tablespoon water (Optional)
- Cook beef, onions & green pepper in skillet until meat is no longer pink
- Return beef mixture to skillet and stir in tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, & pepper.
- Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes until mixture thickens and most of tomato juice is absorbed.
- Place one unrolled pie crust at one end of greased cookie sheet.
- If baking both giant empanadas on same cookie sheet think ahead about placement. Once beef is added you can not move empanada)
- Place half of beef mixture on half of pastry like half moon shape ‘D’, leaving one inch border around edges.
- Sprinkle with about ½ of cheese being careful not to over fill with either beef or cheese
- Carefully pull remaining dough over, covering meat and cheese meeting the edge of bottom crusts. Crimp edges with fork to seal all around.
- Brush top with yolk mixture. (You should have a half moon shape)
- Repeat above with remaining pastry.
- Bake at 400 for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole