1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup cooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15 oz) organic tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper.
- Remove seeds and membranes
- Rinse peppers.
- Cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, add enough water to cover peppers.
- Heat to boiling; add peppers.
- Cook about 2 minutes; drain.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown
- Stir in rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; cook until hot
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Stuff peppers with beef mixture.
- Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese