1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. corn meal (I happened to have yellow self rising corn meal mix and it was good.)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I only had Colby jack so that's what I used this time.)
6-8 bacon slices, cooked crisp and chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk (I always use skim.)
1/4 c. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Stir in 2 c. cheese and bacon; set side.
- Blend egg, milk, and butter in a medium bowl and stir it in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let cool about 5 before removing from pan