1/2 cup pumpkin purée
2/3 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine first four ingredients in a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Clip candy thermometer to the side of pan.
- Bring mixture to soft ball stage (234º).
- Remove from heat, and let cool 15 minutes or so.
- Add vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice
- Beat syrup vigorously until it becomes opaque and begins to crystalize.
- An immersion blender is perfect for this step, but a fork works nicely too.
- Stir in oats, and drop by the spoonful onto parchment paper.
- Let cool.