1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece whole ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 to 2 tablespoons garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
Fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups cooked rice, to serve
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until softened
- Stir onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, garam masala, paprika, and kosher salt until the chicken is evenly covered with spices.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes with their juices.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Fifteen minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the heavy cream.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, leave the slow cooker uncovered for the last 15 minutes.
- Taste and add more garam masala or salt to taste.
- Serve over rice with fresh cilantro sprinkled over the top of each serving.
- The tikka masala can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.