2 large eggs
1/3 cup plain whole milk or coconut milk yogurt
1 tbsp honey (or pure maple syrup)
1 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp coconut flour
2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
2 tbsp honey (I prefer sage honey due to its mild flavor)
1 tbsp butter, melted (or coconut oil, melted)
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup diced organic apple (about 1 small or medium apple)
1/2 cup crispy walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 315 degrees.
- Place 8 parchment muffin liners in a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, honey, lemon juice and vanilla until well blended.
- Whisk in the coconut flour until blended.
- Using a spoon, stir in the almond flour, baking soda and salt until well incorporated.
- Set batter aside.
- In a small bowl, add the streusel ingredients (except for the diced apple and walnuts)
- Whisk together until well combined; set aside.
- Add a spoonful of the muffin batter to each of the lined muffin cups making sure to fill no more than 1/3 of the muffin liner.
- Using both hands, lift the muffin tin evenly tap the bottom on the counter to evenly distribute the batter in the bottom of the muffin cups.
- Using a small spoon, place a dollop of the streusel in the center of each muffin
- Top with a little sprinkling of diced apple and walnuts.
- Place another spoonful of batter on top of the cinnamon-apple-nut layer, making sure to evenly distribute the remaining batter among all the muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with the remaining diced apple and nuts.
- Drizzle the remaining cinnamon streusel over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then serve