1 loaf french bread
1 pound lean ground beef
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion1/2 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 Tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 Tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Slice the french bread in half, lengthwise, so you have two equal pieces.
- Scoop out the bread in the center of each piece.
- Place bread in a large bowl and tear into small chunks.
- Set the two halves of french bread onto a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet, over medium-high heat.
- Drain any grease.
- Add the celery and garlic to skillet.
- Cook a few minutes until celery is tender.
- Add soup, milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook mixture until heated; another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the beef mixture to the bread in the large bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the center of one half of the french bread.
- Spread out evenly.
- Top the mixture with the shredded cheese.
- Top with the other half of bread.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.