1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1/4 cup butter, softened 3 cups confectioners sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tblsp. light cream (or use evaporated milk)
Ground nutmeg (freshly ground is wonderful!)
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl.
- Add nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla; mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour to mix well.
- If necessary, chill dough for easier handling.
- Shape dough into logs about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Place logs 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 cups of the confectioners sugar and the vanilla; mix well.
- Beat in cream and remaining sugar.
- Frost cookies.
- With the tines of a small fork, make lines down the frosting to simulate bark.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.