1 - tablespoon canola or olive oil
1 - (14.5 oz) can diced chili ready tomatoes
1/2 - cup mild salsa or picante sauce
1/2 - teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 - teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 - teaspoon onion powder
1/2 - teaspoon garlic powder
1 - teaspoon chili powder
4 - cups low sodium chicken broth
1 - lb lean ground beef or turkey, browned
1 - small onion, chopped
1 - clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 - 8 oz package shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet and add rice cook for about 5 minutes or until rice becomes a golden brown color.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salsa, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder, and chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed and the rice it tender.
- While the rice is cooking in a large oven proof skillet brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent in color.
- Drain off any grease.
- When the rice mixture is done add it to the ground beef and gently mix to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and add chopped cilantro and serve.