1 - teaspoon onion powder
1 - teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 - teaspoon black pepper
1/4 - cup barbecue dry rub eg Grill Mates Sweet & Smokey
1 - 16 oz bottle barbecue sauce, separated
1 - small onion, sliced
1/4 - cup honey
1/2 - teaspoon liquid smoke
8 - hoagie rolls, french bread rolls or sandwich buns
garnish: additional onions, pickles and coleslaw
- Rinse the chicken under cold water and remove the giblets.
- Pat chicken with a paper towel on the outside and inside the cavity.
- In a small bowl mix together the onion powder, garlic salt, pepper and barbecue dry rub.
- Coat the entire chicken with the dry seasoning mix including the inside cavity and a under the skin of the breasts.
- Place the chicken in a large zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and place in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Scatter the sliced onions on top and around the chicken.
- Add 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook chicken on high for 4-5 hours (or until chicken is fully cooked).
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board and pull the meat off the bone.
- Shred the chicken using two forks.
- Discard the bones and grease at the bottom of the crock pot and wipe clean.
- Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, honey, and liquid smoke.
- Pour the mixture over the shredded chicken.
- Mix to combine.
- Continue cooking until the chicken mixture is warm throughout.
- Serve immediately on hoagie or sandwich rolls with additional barbecue sauce, onions, pickles, and your favorite coleslaw if desired