This lasagne is easy to make and is loaded with lean chicken and spinach for a nutritional boast. Its delicious and stores well. Katalina over at Peas and Peonies says its the best.....and I tend to agree
1 lb. ground chicken
1 garlic head (9-10 cloves), minced
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
5 cups raw fresh spinach
½ cup oil + 3 tablespoons
16 oz / 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
15 oz marinara sauce
16 lasagna sheets
salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan over high-medium heat, bring 2 gallons of water to a boil.
- In the meantime, in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add ½ cup of oil once the saucepan is hot.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic
- Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, around 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and ground chicken.
- Mix well so the ingredients get combined, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked add the spinach
- Cook until the spinach has shrink in size and is tender, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat.
- In the meantime, add some salt and 2 tablespoons of oil to the boiling water
- Add the lasagne sheets.
- Cook based on box instructions, usually it takes 7-9 minutes .
- Transfer lasagne sheets to a colander, give them a bath in cold water and drain.
- Start assembling the lasagna. trimming the length of the lasagna sheets to fit your pan.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Start by greasing the lasagna pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Lay 5 lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan,
- Top it with half of the chicken mixture
- Follow by 5 ounces of marinara sauce
- Add 1½ cups of grated mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat this for the second layer of lasagna sheets, chicken mixture, marinara sauce and cheese.
- Top with the final layer of 6 lasagna sheets,
- You could also add the pieces from the trimmed sheets
- Cover with the remaining 5 ounces of marinara sauce
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Place lasagne in the fridge for 24 hours, or bake it immediately for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Let lasagne cool down 15-20 minutes before serving, as this will help cutting it.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve